Subject: Re: installboot and second stage
To: NetBSD/i386 List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2003 21:23:32
On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:55:00PM -0400, Andreas Wrede wrote:
> Either the man page for installboot needs to mention biosboot or
> better, biosboot should be installed as /usr/mdec/boot.i386, as the
> man page indicates.

I agree :)

> cp -p /usr/mdec/biosboot /boot
> installboot  -o console=com1,speed=9600  /dev/rwd0a  /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

I tried to switch to the new bootblocks last night, and now I can't
boot anymore :( I did:

cp /usr/mdec/biosboot /boot
installboot -v /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

I dual boot Windows XP and NetBSD on the machine in question, and use
XP's boot selector (which had been working fine with the old
bootblocks). When I try to boot NetBSD now, the screen clears, and I
get around 20 garbage characters displayed at the top left of the
screen, along with a few beeps. It's the same garbage characters each
time... it's as if it's trying to display the boot message and prompt,
but is instead displaying garbage.

Any ideas? :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++