Subject: hung virtual console after X lockup
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2003 00:29:47
I've got two users logged in, running X on different virtual consoles
on a 1.6[.1ish] box.  Normally works like a champ - Ctrl-Alt-F*
to switch from one to another.

However twice now, when switching, the target XFree86 gets itself into
a loop and kill -9 is the only option it seems.   I can kill everying
running on that vty (eg ttyE1), but although a getty runs again it
appears to be stuck in graphics mode.  Ie. if I now Ctrl-Alt-F2 I just
get a frozen view of my other desktop.

I seem to recall (back in X11R3 days) a command used to get a Sun
console out of graphics mode, is there any such for XFree86 on i386?

Would xdm recover from this situation?

Like I said this is only the 2nd time X (or whatever was the root
cause) has failed in this way - this setup has otherwise worked fine
for several months.

Thanks
--sjg