Subject: Re: Make index
To: None <nightshade@phreaker.net>
From: Dan McMahill <dan@mcmahill.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/2003 22:41:10
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:52:17 +0000
Nicholas Ricketts <nightshade@phreaker.net> wrote:

> I am trying to run "make index" in /usr/pkgsrc and it is taking
> forever. I have read some posts that is does indeed take serveral
> hours to complete but the posts were from years ago.
> Does this process still supposed to take several hours. Or has this
> problem been fixed and I'm doing something wrong? Any helpon
> generating the needed inex file would be nice. Thank you.

unfortunately, the current implementation is an example of 'recursive
make considered harmful'.  I'd intended on fixing it up to use some of
the same code, basically memoization as it works through the
dependencies, as the README.html generation.  However, I've been really
lacking in time to come through with anything.  So the bottom line is
that currently it will take a very long time for make index to run.

-Dan