Subject: Re: bootable non-install CD
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/2003 17:00:51
> This is i386, so you need to put the kernel inside a bootable floppy
> disk image, and put the floppy disk image inside a file in the CD's file
> system.  Getting it right will probably be tricky.

I believe that there is also possible to get a cdrom to emulate
a hard disk - at least with certain bioses.  This might make it
possible to remove the 2.8MB limit on the size of the boot filesystem.

It is also (probably) possible to build bootxx_cd9660 - although you
might need to write the cdfs access routines.  Then you could boot
a cd where the kernel is in the cdfs filesystem rather than in the
'boot floppy' image.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk