Subject: Re: NetBSD Wont Boot, wd0a device not configured
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/2003 14:22:14
> The NetBSD installation tool installs fine on the disk.  I am choosing to
> use the whole disk for a standard installation.  I am not changing the
> recommended partition settings.
>
> The install works fine, but the disk won't boot.

At which point does it fail to boot?

> I read some where that if you have problems you can use the floppy
> bootloader and type: boot wd0a:netbsd
> But this says to me:    Open: device Not Configured
>                                     Boot: device not configured.

Read the help luke...

You need to type 'boot hd0a:'

(you can do the same from the install CD)

If that works, then it looks like the installer failed to write either:
1) the mbr bootstrap code to sector zero
2) the netbsd boot code to the start of the netbsd partition.

Use fdisk to correct the former and (for 1.6.1) /usr/mdec/installboot
for the latter.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk