Subject: NetBSD Wont Boot, wd0a device not configured
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Seth van Buren <seth@heavydutymedia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/2003 19:23:39

--B_3139413820_382776

HI!

I am having some trouble with booting a freshly installed NetBsd 1.6.1
install.

I have just purchase a new Western Digital 40Gb disk and installed NetBsd o=
this new disk.   The disk is the Primary IDE channel master device. There
are no other disk=B9s or Oses on this machine

The rest of the machine is a DTK mother board (PRM-00771 ), Award BIOS
2a69jdia, 256Mb of RAM, Pentium II 300 Mhz,  I updated the BIOS before I di=
the install.  The disk is recognized by the BIOS at startup.

The NetBSD installation tool installs fine on the disk.  I am choosing to
use the whole disk for a standard installation.  I am not changing the
recommended partition settings.

The install works fine, but the disk won=B9t boot.

I read some where that if you have problems you can use the floppy
bootloader and type: boot wd0a:netbsd
But this says to me:    Open: device Not Configured
                                    Boot: device not configured.

I ran the installer again and exited into sh.  I then did a: mount /dev/wd0=
/hd
Which worked.  The disk mounted okay, and I could see the filesystem

I have had NetBsd 1.5 previously running on this machine a couple of years
ago, but it was with a scsi disk, and I had absolutley no problems like thi=
whatsoever.

I would appreciate any help in getting this machine going, my only other
alternative is to buy another machine, which I can=B9t afford to do right now=