Subject: Re: Newbies and perhasp stupid questions
To: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2003 08:41:55
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:30:31AM +0200, Thomas Runge wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2003/06/19/0002.html
> >
> > Is "Smartcard" the same as "Smartmedia"?
>
> No. A Smartcard is a microprocessor card as used for authentification,

Thanks.  Maybe I should have said "Do you mean Smartmedia..?"  (^&

> storing data, doing crypto (f.e. for online banking) etc.
> But the writer of above mail indeed means a smartmedia card which
> can get read via a USB reader, almost all of them recognized and

I've tried 3 of them.  One works under -current (only), the other two don't
work at all for me.

Maybe you've had better luck, but I would suggest that he buy from a place
that will let him conveniently return the reader if it doesn't work.
Or else buy one that is specifically recommended.

I wouldn't buy one at random, via mail-order.