Subject: RE: Newbies and perhasp stupid questions
To: Thomas Runge <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sporleder, Matthew (CCI-Atlanta) <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2003 12:56:50
newbtconf has been around forever.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Runge [mailto:coto@core.de]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:32 PM
To: port-i386@netbsd.org

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-2] Micha? Pasternak wrote:

> > - Idem for the networks : the dock station have an
> > ethernet connector connected to my own networks but
> > what will happend when the machine is alone ? I have
> > also a PCMCIA ethernet card that should or shouldn't
> > be there. How it's managed ?
>
> The cards are configuread, as you may already know, using =
,,ifconfig''. When
> you insert PCMCIA, a new network interface appears (like, ep1, for =
example).
> Use ,,ifconfig ep1 IP'' to configure it. Much simplier approach would =
be to
> use dhclient on that interface, but your lan must have DHCP server =
running.
> If it does, use ,,dhclient network_interface'' and watch it work.

Which reminds me of a drawback... how about a system where I can
keep infos/configs about potential pcmcia/pccard/usb/whatever-dynamic
devices that might get connected? So, when you know, that you have
an ex1 when running your laptop docked (in addition to the built-in
ex0) just provide a script that knows what to do in that case
(f.e. ifconfig ex0 down && dhclient ex1). Or you've got a USB webcam
at ugen0, provide a script to automatically start your favourite
webcam grabber. I think you've got the point.

I think, Linux and FreeBSD have such systems. How about NetBSD?
Any plans for a dyndevd? :)

--=20
Tom