Subject: Re: Newbies and perhasp stupid questions
To: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3?= Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2003 15:05:41
Laurent FAILLIE [Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:34:32PM +0200]:
[...]
> - I have another disk on the station. Can I mount it
> automaticaly at bootup and, if so, what will append
> when the system is not docked or this disk not present
> ?

If you add it to fstab with standard options for a hard drive, like:

	/dev/wd1a /2nd_disk ffs rw 1 1

the system will not boot if the disk is not present. The best approach would
be to use "rw,noauto" mount options, and remember to mount it, whether by
hand or using single line in /etc/rc.local - or use something like amd to
automatically mount that disk when you enter a specific directory.

> - Idem for the networks : the dock station have an
> ethernet connector connected to my own networks but
> what will happend when the machine is alone ? I have
> also a PCMCIA ethernet card that should or shouldn't
> be there. How it's managed ?

The cards are configuread, as you may already know, using ,,ifconfig''. When
you insert PCMCIA, a new network interface appears (like, ep1, for example).
Use ,,ifconfig ep1 IP'' to configure it. Much simplier approach would be to
use dhclient on that interface, but your lan must have DHCP server running.
If it does, use ,,dhclient network_interface'' and watch it work.

When you have 2 network interfaces in your machine, just be sure to use the
proper one as a default gateway (type ,,man route'' and read about changing
it).

> And what will append if it can't find any network card
> at all ? Can it switch from the dock ethernet to the
> PCMCIA but itself if the machine is undocked.
> And what will append if both card are present ?

See above.

> Well, It is possible to have 2 differents
> configuration depending if the machine is docked or
> not and if it possible to make the machine use
> automaticaly one or the other depending of found
> devices.

Why 2 different configurations? I am sure single /etc could deal with stuff
you talk about.

--
Michał Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl
Pokaż, lekarzu, co masz w garażu.