Subject: Re: Good wireless card
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/2003 11:52:50
In message <5.2.0.9.0.20030614010824.02911c68@pop.rcn.com>, Laine writes:

-> Anyway, getting back to the earlier comment about quality of Dlink vs
-> Linksys - if the firmware Dlink provides with their 900AP+ is any
-> indicator, they should be much better quality than Linksys. I have, btw,
-> had reasonably good luck with the Dlink 650 model PCMCIA wireless card.
-> Note, however, that this card is now out of production in favor of the
-> 650+, which uses the dreaded TI chipset that nobody can get info for w/o
-> signing and NDA. Bah.

There's also the ADMTek-based DWL-650 (not +), which David Young has docs
for and is working on a driver for.  Unfortunately, it has some of the same
misfeatures as far as connectivity you ascribed to the LinkSys AP (drops out
often even in spots where the Orinico is perfectly fine, can take a long time
to get back on the "ether" after a drop out, ...).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill