Subject: Re: DHCP and X problems
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/13/2003 15:15:21
> I set up DHCP, but when I boot up when my computer is not connected
> to the campus network, X does not start up properly.  The X mouse and
> the gray screen come up.  I can cannot open the menu or do anything,
> and I have to go back to the console.  Everything works fine when I
> boot up with my compuer connected to the campus network.

What's in the X logfiles?  My guess would be that this is because you
still have a resolv.conf left over from the last DHCP-connected boot,
or something else preventing name resolution from working, and that
name->address resolution is working sluggishly if at all as a result.
I would hazard a guess that if you waited long enough, X either would
start up or error out, depending on whether name resolution is working
slowly or not at all.  ("long enough" means something like a minute or
two for every attempted resolution, which for an X startup involving a
lot of clients could run into as much as hours.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign