Subject: Re: localization (was Re: HD Tuning)
To: Scott Zahn <scott@xeroxparc.net>
From: Jaka Jejcic <keks@kibla.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/2003 00:43:44
> This reminds me of something I was thinking about a while ago.  How do
> non-english speaking people learn to remember unix commands?  Most unix
> commands are abbreviated english words.  So if someone knows no english at
> all, how do they learn unix commands?  Rote memorization?  That seems like
> it would be extra difficult.  Sorry if this post is way off topic, it's
> just something that I've wondered about for a long time, but don't have
> any non-english speaking unix friends to ask.  Could someone on this list
> tell me?

In the beginning (when you don't know the language) you just learn by heart.
And even later, when you know the language you don't usualy connect command
names with english words. Its like learning the whole new language, you
just link the command name with its meaning, english knowledge has nothing
to do with it.
Of course that is only valid for those who learned commands before they
knew english. For others, I guess, it's similar to the way of native speakers.

jj