Subject: Re: HD Tuning
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2003 17:23:48
On Friday 06 June 2003 08:28, Video Mike wrote:
> Dear NetBSD,
>
> It is nice to be able to use a computer and depend on it.  I have
> installed several NetBSD servers in the business world and can
> happily report many months of uptime on most.  A few of them have
> only days of uptime due to upgrading from V1.5.2 to V1.6.1 and
> occasional power outages.  It is a very nice thing to see this
> dependability as well as the excellent I/O performance that this
> OS provides.  I have done only minor tweaking to the kernels for
> out-of-the-ordinary network options and for inserting the dummy
> NOP's and ripping out the software math support.  No disk I/O
> tweaking was ever required. The intention of my comment is not to
> bad mouth Linux or any other OS, but, I believe a word of
> encouragment is necessary to the developers and support gurus
> of NetBSD for their incredible effort in this time-proven operating
> system.  I have had experiences installing Linux and simply prefer
> the way NetBSD sets up and performs hardware polling with such
> minimal tweaking.  I think that the prior flames against NetBSD are
> unwarranted. Any flaming against NetBSD is a waste of space and
> time.  There are reasons why many Linux users have migrated to
> the BSD's and further flaming isn't going to convince them to move
> back. Linux is not UNIX anyway. Linux is Linux and apples are not
> oranges.
>
> --Video Mike--

Submit.

Ii cannot say alot about NetBSD team people course i'm quite a new here, =
but=20
for now NetBSD shows itself as a good platform for embedded systems. At l=
east=20
it took me one week to start working in this system including complete=20
workstation and target embedded platform installation and tuning, discove=
ring=20
of some internals of kernel architecture to write custom drivers etc.

Solid, well designed and impelmented kernel, quite enough documented OS, =
lot=20
of ported software for developer (i use X+KDE3). Also is nice that NetBSD=
=20
isn't stuck in time and support modern different buses and devices.

Great job NetBSD team ! Thanks.

// wbr