Subject: Re: Using a Stripped Kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2003 17:55:12
On Thursday 05 June 2003 10:30, Jenkins, Graham K \[IBM GSA\] wrote:
> Guys, I'm using a number of old 486's with 16Mb
> memory as Xterminals at my place, running NetBSD
> 1.6.1. I'm using a cut-down kernel so as to improve
> startup and response times for X.
>
> I've found I can get a further 10% improvement by
> stripping that kernel.  But I get a couple of
> diagnostics at boot time, like:
>
>   savecore: /netbsd: kvm_nlist: bad namelist
>   savecore: /netbsd: _dumpdev:  not in namelist
>
> So .. is there a way I can compile an even smaller
> kernel so it doesn't generate these messages?
>
> These machines are operated by ordinary users, and
> they aren't the least bit interested in crash-dumps.
>
> Regards .. G.

I have the same idea too so just "strip netbsd"  after kernel is built an=
d it=20
is about ~15% smaller. And, the main, i do  not see any warnings or error=
s=20
when i boot this kernel. Don't know why though :) I thought it's just mus=
t be=20
so. At least dmesg dosn't display any warnings or errors.

If you like i can send to you my kernel build configuration file.

ps: all in-kernel debugging features are switched off so maybe this is th=
e=20
reason ?

// wbr