Subject: Using a Stripped Kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jenkins, Graham K [IBM GSA] <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2003 20:30:44
Guys, I'm using a number of old 486's with 16Mb
memory as Xterminals at my place, running NetBSD
1.6.1. I'm using a cut-down kernel so as to improve
startup and response times for X.

I've found I can get a further 10% improvement by
stripping that kernel.  But I get a couple of
diagnostics at boot time, like:

  savecore: /netbsd: kvm_nlist: bad namelist
  savecore: /netbsd: _dumpdev:  not in namelist

So .. is there a way I can compile an even smaller
kernel so it doesn't generate these messages?

These machines are operated by ordinary users, and
they aren't the least bit interested in crash-dumps.

Regards .. G.