Subject: Re: Port to Sun 386i
To: Miod Vallat <miod@online.fr>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2003 09:47:39
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Miod Vallat wrote:

> > > 	Excellent news - do you know if its a 150 or 250 (the 250 had
> > > 	had max 16M rather than 8M and had IIRC an extra cache)
>
> This is wrong, BTW; the 150 will happily run with more than 8MB. I don't
> know why docs keep saying it can't.

	It was shipped with the 8MB board (I swapped memory boards between
	the 150 and 250 way back when :)

> > That's what I plan on. In fact, I wonder how far just booting the
> > i386 Kernel will get...
>
> Nowhere, simply because it will not be recognized as a valid executable.
> SunOS on the 396i uses COFF. To load something else you'll have to start
> by writing a new bootloader.

	It may be possible to use objcopy to convert an elf kernel into
	coff - I know some other ports such as pmax and sgimips have
	kernel format constraints, and use either objcopy or a custom
	tool to convert kernels.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --