Subject: Re: hd tuning
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2003 16:56:16
> > > 386DX-40, 486DX-33 are exactly machines i use for routing..over 10
[...]
> > It ran NetBSD 1.5 and routed multiple Terabytes of IPv6 traffic during

I've been asked to advise our school on what would be needed (no sluggishness
and no crashes) to run a dedicated ipfilter/nat machine on a LAN to which
about 1000 PCs are connected.  At maximum, 400 PCs would be accessing the
Internet within a narrow time window.  Anyone willing to share their
experiences with a LAN of that scale?  I've only done small-time stuff and
have no idea how to extrapolate the cpu/memory from 486DX/20MB for 2 PCs
and a webserver to a whole organization.  On or off list fine.  (Apologize
for the cross post, but not a single reply on help-.)  Thanks.

henry nelson