Subject: Re: Startup guide for writting custom drivers for NetBSD/i.386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2003 01:15:28
Hi, Ian.

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 02:16:53 +0000, Ian Zagorskih wrote:

> Please, can you suggest me where to start ? Actually, i would be
> happy with some "drivers cook-book" or smth like this.

Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote "NetBSD Device Driver
Writing for Beginners", but, unfortunately it's in German only.
And the ULR is no longer alive, it seems.

> Just get me right, i have lot enough of experience in designing
> different hardware frameworks for exanple for QNX4/6 OSes, but they
> are MicroKernel and BSD isn't fit well in this scheme. I just want
> to start at some point :)

There're some random docs at

    http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/

of which you want to read at least Torek's new config paper

    http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/config-torek.ps

[warning, not a dsc-compliant postscript document, should probably
print and distill ok, though].

While netbsd autoconfiguration has evolved since, the paper gives a
good baseline to start with (Jason, time for the "new new config"
paper?).

Also take a look at some existing drivers and how they are split into
the MI code and the bus glue.  Manual pages in the section 9 should
help also.

SY, Uwe