Subject: Re: function key on a sony vaio PCG-Z505Ls
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2003 19:22:35
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, john heasley wrote:

> to switch from the lcd to the vga, you hit Function-F7.  but, it does
> not work on -current (as of today, never has worked afaik).  watching
> with xev, the Function key does not generate an X event like Control
> (etc) do.

No. That key is not a regular keyboard key, and so doesn't generate a
scan code. Most likely it generates an ACPI event.

> would something be blocking this key?  seems odd.  any hints?

You need either kernel support (such as we have for the Toshiba
Libretto) for switching or you need a program that can frob the chipset
appropriately (such as the one provided by the developer of the Savage
drivers for XFree86).

cjs