Subject: Re: hd tuning
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/01/2003 03:35:13
Micha³ Pasternak wrote:

> You'd better tell this to David and his Linux vs NetBSD trolling.

Whatever.. this is a netbsd mailing list, after all.
Apart from that, I've never seen a great difference in raw disk
performance between NetBSD, FreeBSD and Gnu/Linux, although most of the
few tests I have made in that issue have been on SCSI disks, not IDE disks.
Besides, I'd happily accept lower disk performance if that means a
smaller risk of data loss.  That, for example, involves disabling of
on-disk write-back caches which IIRC many IDE disks enable by default
(or am I mistaken here?)

--
Matthias Buelow
home: mkb/at/mukappabeta.de