Subject: Re: sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot_com0_19200?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/2003 00:39:23
> This is working for me.  I had to search for the actual man page since
> 'man installboot' pulls up the i386 (aka old) version on my box.

yes - default MANPATH issues, when the 'new' code becomes the default
the old page will disappear...

> Also, it wasn't clear that I needed to copy /usr/mdec/biosboot to /boot.
> I had a /boot from a day or so earlier that was from biosboot_com0.sym, and
> after running the installboot my box wouldn't boot.  It was complaining
> that /boot was the "wrong format" or something like that.

Better than blindly executing it...

> It seems rather important to me that installboot verifies /boot before
> doing anything.  It is silly to update the stage1 when it will not be able
> to use /boot.  So whatever check stage1 is doing should probably be added
> to installboot.

I'll think about that one, instalboot doesn't do that for any other
architecture.

> But.. Now that I reconfigured a box to PXE the hosed box, all done remote,
> used my remote power switch a few times, the box is back up and the new
> boot code seems happy.
>
> One other note.  Seems like the pxeboot 'quit' command should reset the
> box rather than just hanging.  If it did, I wouldn't have needed to use
> my remote power switch.

I've not looked at pxeboot, really needs building from the new sources.
(but I can't test it)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk