Subject: Re: sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot_com0_19200?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2003 11:38:05
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:49:54AM +0100, David Laight wrote:

> My 'new' code (which is in-tree) allows the baud rate to be set
> by /usr/sbin/installboot when the first stage boot is installed.
> (It gets magically passed to the boot2 code which actually needs it!)

This is working for me.  I had to search for the actual man page since
'man installboot' pulls up the i386 (aka old) version on my box.

Also, it wasn't clear that I needed to copy /usr/mdec/biosboot to /boot.
I had a /boot from a day or so earlier that was from biosboot_com0.sym, and
after running the installboot my box wouldn't boot.  It was complaining
that /boot was the "wrong format" or something like that.

It seems rather important to me that installboot verifies /boot before
doing anything.  It is silly to update the stage1 when it will not be able
to use /boot.  So whatever check stage1 is doing should probably be added
to installboot.

But.. Now that I reconfigured a box to PXE the hosed box, all done remote,
used my remote power switch a few times, the box is back up and the new
boot code seems happy.

One other note.  Seems like the pxeboot 'quit' command should reset the
box rather than just hanging.  If it did, I wouldn't have needed to use
my remote power switch.

-Andrew