Subject: Dell Latitude D600
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2003 18:49:29
I recently acquired a nearly-new Dell Latitude D600 to replace my
7-year-old laptop.

Several things just work.  Several things don't work.  Some may be bugs,
some are unimplemented features that I wish for, and some may be due to
my own stupidity.  I'd appreciate advice about the latter.

Works:

* All the simple stuff works.

* Built in Broadcom gigabit ethernet attaches as "bge0" and works fine
  in 100baseTX full-duplex mode.

* LCD display works fine under XFree86.

* Trackpad mouse and clit mouse somehow magically get multiplexed
  together and show up as "pms0".  Works fine in XFree86.

* Built in AC-97 audio shows up as "auich0", and seems to work.

* USB works, modulo the problems I reported a few days ago
  when a umass device sometimes fails to get a scsibus attached to it.

* CDRW/DVD drive works for reading CDs.  I haven't tried anything more
  complex.

* Floppy drive shows up as SCSI over USB, and works.  This is the same
  whether it's inserted into the drive bay or plugged in via a USB cable.

Doesn't work:

* Non-ACPI kernel freezes up.

  If I run a kernel without ACPI support, then closing the lid of
  the laptop causes a complete freeze.  There's no panic message or
  anything; the system just freezes up completely.

* LCD display does not turn off when lid is closed.

  If I run a kernel with ACPI support, then closing the lid of the
  laptop causes the kernel to print "acpilid0: lid closed.", and
  "acpilid0: lid opened." when the lid is opened.  The LCD panel stays
  on even while the lid is closed, wasting power.  I assume I can use
  powerd to make something happen in response to the lid events, and I
  would like to make it turn off the display but keep everything else
  running, but I don't know any way to do that.

* Can't use LCD and external monitor simultaneously.

  Pressing the "CRT/LCD" button (actually "Fn"+"F8") switches between
  the internal LCD and the external VGA monitor.  I can't find a way of
  having them both turned on simultaneously.

  Windows XP seems to be able to use the internal LCD and an external
  monitor, either one at a time or both together, and can even display
  different images on the two monitors.

* Can't suspend/hibernate.

  When I press the "Suspend" button (actually "Fn"+"Esc"), the kernel
  prints "acpibut1: sleep button pressed.".  When I release the button,
  it reports the same message again.  I was expecting different messages
  for the two events.  I would like to make the suspend button put the
  system into some kind of suspend mode.

  The power button also generates an ACPI event, which causes the kernel
  to print "acpibut0: power button pressed, shutting down!", and then
  to sync the disk and turn off the power.  I might like to configure
  powerd so that the power button does some kind of deep sleep or
  hibernate stuff instead of shutting down.

* Built-in modem does not work.  I was expecting this problem.

  The modem probes as "Intel 82801DB/DBM AC97 Modem Controller (modem
  communications, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 31 function 6 not configured".
  It's PCI vendor ID 0x8066, product ID 0x24C6.

  Windows XP says it's a "Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem".

  It would be nice to have a driver for this device.

* Built-in WiFi does not work.  I was expecting this problem.

  The adapter probed as "Broadcom Corporation product 0x4320 (miscellaneous
  network, revision 0x02) at pci2 dev 3 function 0 not configured".

  Windows XP says it's a "Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card".

  It would be nice to have a driver for this device.

* I dont' know how to make the built-in Bluetooth work.

  The bluetooth adapter probes as "ugen0 at uhub0 port 2" "ugen0: vendor
  0x413c product 0x8000, rev 1.10/5.65, addr 2.".

  Windows XP says it's a "Dell TrueMobile Bluetooth Module".

  I see some preliminary bluetooth support in NetBSD's sys/dev/bluetooth
  directory, but I am not sure how to use it.

* I don't know how to make the IrDA port work.

  NetBSD sees "com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo".

  I don't know how to make NetBSD do IrDA stuff over this port.

  Windows XP says it's a "SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port", and claims to
  be using the same IRQ and ports as NetBSD, but also claims to be using
  additional IO ports 0x280-0x287 and DMA channel 3, which NetBSD is not
  using.

--apb (Alan Barrett)