Subject: Bad sectors
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian von Kleist <cvk@zybx.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2003 00:51:31
     In the process of setting up my notebook to run NetBSD I noticed that
every time I run fsck there are warnings of unrecoverable errors on
wd0, specifically that in wd0e there are bad sectors.  I had hoped my
drive's firmware would be clever enough to create a forwarding table
on its own to correct bad sectors, but that doesn't seem to be the
case.

     How can I mark these sectors as bad?  Is there a utility in NetBSD
(besides bad144 which doesn't seem to do partitions over a certain
size) that I can use to set up forwarding on these sectors?

--
c v k @ z y b x . c o m