Subject: Re: mbr vs WinNT/Win2K boot system
To: Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2003 09:01:45
> Except in my case the bootloader loads NTLDR which then needs to load code
> from a file on the disk which then loads code off a different disk.
>
> Using the new bootstrap system: with pbr.S 1.3, my partition table patch
> and a judicious "movb $0x82, %dl", it boots my overloaded MBR/PBR fine from
> my SCSI system (with hd2a: which later becomes sd3a: after bootup)

Does that mean that the NTLDR code isn't setting %dl up correctly
when it enters the netbsd bootstrap code?

I know that some of the bootstraps (lurking in the world) have the
disk number hard coded into them.....

If this is a 'real' issue, then installboot could be taught how to
apply an appropriate patch.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk