Subject: Re: mbr vs WinNT/Win2K boot system
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2003 17:53:17
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:33:25PM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
> Heyla,
> my setup is (no ATA HDs):
>  SCSI disks 0 & 1 = Win2K
>  SCSI disk 2 = NetBSD
>
> NetBSD boots via Win2K boot menu.  I've just tried updating my 2.13 boot &
> modified SCSI disk2 MBR (sets to boot from 0x82) to 2.16 (from -current).
> Didn't work.  Even with "dev hd2a:", "ls" or "boot" don't work.

So you are managing to get the boot code loaded?
That is 90% of the battle!
At least there is space in that code to add diagnostics!

> However, booting from floppy from the same -current distribution,
> "dev hd2a:" and stuff works.

That ought to be (almost) the same code :-(

> Anyone had success with this current vintage?  Any obvious
> reasons for this?  Would the changelog for 2.16 make this obvious why
> this won't work?  In the next few days I'll try backing out some of the
> changes but maybe the problem is obvious to someone? (boolsel bootblock
> doesn't work either).  Well, here's hoping :-)

> Is DSL's new system going to help me here?  DSL, is there a description
> of what the changes are or is this still work in progress?  Is it a
> matter of specifying what FS's you want with installboot or something?

It might, you could just try it and see.  Everything is built.
All you need to do is:
# /sbin/installboot /dev/rsd2d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
# cp /usr/mdec/biosboot /boot

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk