Subject: mbr vs WinNT/Win2K boot system
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2003 15:33:25
Heyla,
my setup is (no ATA HDs):
 SCSI disks 0 & 1 = Win2K
 SCSI disk 2 = NetBSD

NetBSD boots via Win2K boot menu.  I've just tried updating my 2.13 boot &
modified SCSI disk2 MBR (sets to boot from 0x82) to 2.16 (from -current).
Didn't work.  Even with "dev hd2a:", "ls" or "boot" don't work.  However,
booting from floppy from the same -current distribution, "dev hd2a:" and
stuff works.  Anyone had success with this current vintage?  Any obvious
reasons for this?  Would the changelog for 2.16 make this obvious why
this won't work?  In the next few days I'll try backing out some of the
changes but maybe the problem is obvious to someone? (boolsel bootblock
doesn't work either).  Well, here's hoping :-)

Is DSL's new system going to help me here?  DSL, is there a description
of what the changes are or is this still work in progress?  Is it a
matter of specifying what FS's you want with installboot or something?

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>