Subject: Re: Soekris
To: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@puuhamaa.magenta.net>
From: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2003 13:36:25
On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 14:26:12 +0300, Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:

> But, it is possible to change the kernel. When the POST is about to finish,
> press and hold down space, and most of the time you can interrupt the boot
> if you get your timing right.

I am trying to understand this issue (never wanted to understand the
internals of PC hardware :-) While googling, I came across the Soekris
manual. It says:

ConLock
Protecting the serial console port from modifications using int14 system
calls. Value can be "enabled" or "disabled", default is "enabled". Useful
for preventing MS-DOS from changing the console speed on start up.

I see /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/comio.S is doing "int     $0x14"
calls. Would the ConLock setting make any difference? I am not near the
unit at the moment and I don't want to try this remotely.

	rvdp