Subject: Re: Weird booting error
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/2003 18:47:56
--BHMq0+oGliEfCAkH

hi,

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:29:31PM -0400, Yasir Malik wrote:

> However, I get the following errors when I am booting up:
> bakup doesn't compare to primary bootblock
> /dev/rwd0f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsk_msdos MANUALLY
> /dev/rwdg: 10557 files, 3298400 free (824600 clusters)
> THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
> 	msdos: /dev/rwd0f (/c)
> Automatic file system check failed; help!
> May 7 00:09:07 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
> single user mode
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>=20
> I press enter and the # prompt comes up.  I then typed exit and
> pressed enter and then I get some errors that go off the screen too
> fast for me to tell everyone (I type slow) and the login prompt comes
> up.  I them am able to login to my root account or the account that I
> have created.  Everything seems to work fine afterwards.  I am still
> able to access the Windows partitions.  How can I fix the problem?

you can avoid running fsck_msdos(8) on these partitions.  see fstab(5) for
details:

  Each configuration line/record in fstab has the format:
    fs_spec fs_file fs_vfstype fs_mntops fs_freq fs_passno

  The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine
  the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root
  filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesys-
  tems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
  checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked
  at the same time to use parallelism available in the hardware.  If the
  sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and
  fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

so change the lines in your /etc/fstab to:

/dev/wd0f /c msdos rw 1 0
/dev/wd0g /d msdos rw 1 0

regards,

--=20