Subject: Re: Asus A7V8X
To: Tom Javen <tom.javen@innotrac.fi>
From: Frank Kardel <Frank.Kardel@Acrys.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2003 09:00:12
Tom Javen wrote:

> Audio works fine.
> Ethernet (10/100) and usb does not.

My research (for making a decision to buy such a board)
so far has turned out that the board can also be delivered with the gigabit
network option. The board with 10/100/1000 LAN uses the Broadcom 5702
chip which seems to be supported
by the bge driver. The 10/100 board has some Broadcom 4402 chip that is
not supported
in the NetBSD code base right now.

I am a little surprised that you say that USB doesn't work. On an
openbsd mailing list i
found someone where the dmesg showed detected USB 1.1 devices that
listed the via
usual messages (restarting, giving up etc). So I would suspect that USB
could (i hope)
work (in OpenBSD maybe). (see
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-01/0664.html) USB
2.0 seemed
to have trouble there, though. But i don't know about that guys kernel
config and the actual state
of support in OpenBSD.

That guy's board lists the VIA VT83C572 (vendor 0x1106 = VIA, product
0x3038 = VT83C572)
as USB 1.1 device - My ASUS A7V133 has that too and that works fine
(within the via limits).
Thats why i am surprised that USB shouldn't work (except maybe for USB 2.0).

Having all that information i would opt for the Gigabit LAN option with
that board for NetBSD
unless someone else would know why USB wouldn't work.

Anyone else who can shed even more light on this?

Frank