Subject: Re: g4u memory requirements?
To: Dan Byrnes <mrdbyrnes@optusnet.com.au>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/2003 01:13:44
[CC:d to port-i386 as this should be fixed/looked at]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Dan Byrnes wrote:
> Hi Hubert,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'll do my best to send yu the type script it is a
> little hard as the machine never gets up for long enough for me to get
> the text off it.
>
>  >> Memory: 639/64512 k
> Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
> booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
> warning: too little memory available; have 651264 bytes, want 2097152 bytes
> running in degraded mode
> press a key to confirm
>

> Then the machines crashes I have had kernel panics, in this instance I get
> UVM: pid 1 (init), uid 0 killed: out of swap
>
> The PC is a DEC celebris GL5100, This was a nice PC in its day. I have
> no problems running freeBSD on it but I'm wondering if there is
> something in its hardware that it upsetting netBSD.
> It has onboard SCSI, sound card and matrox video card. However it is
> using an IDE harddrive at present.
> Would any of these things trip up your netBSD kernel?

I'd say no, and the message you get doesn't indicate that either.
It seems the machine has som weird memory layout that NetBSD can't detect
it, at least not in the version used in the latest g4u release.

Can you grab a NetBSD 1.6.1 and NetBSD-current bootfloppy and see what
happens? You can get the floppies at:

1.6.1:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/i386/installation/floppy/boot1.fs
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/i386/installation/floppy/boot2.fs

-current:
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200304170000/i386/installation/floppy/boot1.fs
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200304170000/i386/installation/floppy/boot2.fs

Now that 1.6.1 is out, I think of doing a new g4u release, and I wonder if
I should base it on NetBSD 1.6.1 or on -current. Your input may influence
that decision - thanks in advance! :)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html