Subject: Re: vr0: device timeout
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2003 00:52:11
On Mon 14 Apr 2003 at 00:19:28 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:14:50AM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> > In my laptop I have a VIA Rhine ethernet:
> > which keeps repeating and never recovers except by a reboot. A full
>
> Doesn't a 'ifconfig vr0 down; sleep 10; ifconfig vr0 up' help ?

I think I tried that and it failed; but of course when I just wanted to
verify that, the problem did not occur at all. Perhaps that is because I
manually forced the media setting to 10baseT instead of auto, on the
theory that perhaps there would be an autonegotiation problem.

(one reboot later)

Yes, that made a difference. Once I set media to auto again I could
immediately recreate the problem. Then your trick did not work, not even
after attempting to use 10baseT explicitly again.

So now it seems I can use this as a workaround, at least in some
situations. Would it help in finding the root cause?

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.