Subject: Re: "real" OpenBSD compat - how hard would it be?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@crt.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2003 17:20:34
>>>>> Jaromir Dolecek writes:

Jaromir> AFAIK everything available for OpenBSD is also available for
Jaromir> NetBSD.

Nope, not anymore... ;-)

The example I tried was the Glasgow Haskell compiler. There is an
OpenBSD binary of the latest version but not (yet) for any other
*BSD. It should in theory not be too difficult to port it to NetBSD
but it is far from trivial. The compiler is written in Haskell itself
so there is a complex boot-strapping problem involved. And GHC is also
a terribly HUGE beast to work with (I know, I have ported it
before...). So if I could just get the OpenBSD binary running it would
probably be _a lot_ easier to build a first real NetBSD version.

>> P.S. I understand that we may currently have problems identifying
>> OpenBSD binaries during exec, to trigger the right emulation, but

Jaromir> Do they have some kind of signature, as NetBSD binaries have?

If I'm not mistaken they have not gone to ELF (yet?), so they are
still in the old a.out world. I guess that is a problem if you want to
do it automatically. [Not very serious suggestion follows ;-] Maybe a
hack could be done and detect the version of libc that it is linked
with, I noticed that OpenBSD is up to major number 29 (!) on libc
these days. Amazing... ;-)

Kind regards,

        -- Urban