Subject: Re: X crashing
To: Matthew Geddes <mgeddes@tellurian.com.au>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2003 02:03:57
--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

hi,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:39:11AM +1030, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>=20
> I've been playing with NetBSD 1.6 on my laptop over the past few days,
> but I'm still having a few problems. The first problem has very
> similar symptoms to a problem someone on this list had earlier this
> year:
>=20
>    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2003/01/17/0000.html
>=20
> The difference being that X doesn't crash if I don't touch the mouse.
> The laptop's a Toshiba 1550CDS (the 2100 Satellite with a slower CPU).
> The display works fine (using the vesa X driver), but 'G spot' mouse
> (PS/2) seems to be the cause of my troubles. I have PS/2 support in
> the kernel (I've tried with a few of the kernels from the CD, as well
> as a custom one), but given that the mouse is my CorePointer and X
> starts, it hardly looks like a lack of PS/2 mouse support in the
> kernel. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to how I can find the
> cause of the problem and perhaps fix it?
>=20
> I haven't got my XF86Config or XFree86.0.log here, otherwise I'd post
> them, but X is configured to use /dev/wsmouse as the CorePointer using
> the PS/2 protocol (which seemed to work fine with both FreeBSD and
> Linux)

have you tried -

        Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"

?

that's how the NetBSD mouse driver is used in X.  see also:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/x/#wsmouse

> The second problem I'm having directly impacts what I can do to fix
> the crashing X problem. After X dies, my console goes blank (black
> text on black background?). I know the console's still there, as I've
> been able to 'shutdown -r now'. Again, this occurs with the GENERIC
> and GENERIC_LAPTOP kernels, as well as one or two others. Any ideas /
> suggestions?

this looks like the "famous" XFree86-is-not-restoring-VGA-pallete-correctly
bug in various XFree86-4.x drivers.  what card do you have and what
driver are you using?  in case it's Silicon Motion Lynx* using
siliconmotion driver as at the url above, try this patch (which i found
at a japanese NetBSD mailing list some time ago):

  http://xtrmntr.org/techno/NetBSD/smi_driver.c.diff

this should apply cleanly to 4.2.1 xsrc.  it fixed this problem for me
on LynxEM card using XFree86-4.2.1 (i've not tested 4.3 yet).

also, i have different problem with the siliconmotion driver.  the X
server refuses to start unless Option "UseBIOS" is explicitly disabled
in the XF86Config file in the Device section.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --