Subject: Re: ntpd WWV audio driver ?
To: David <david.forrai@gemair.com>
From: Matt SF <spore@psibercom.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/2003 10:37:56
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:41:14AM -0500, David wrote:
> I have not tried this driver, however, I can tell you this is not an
> audio driver.  This driver is made to attach to the serial port and pick
> up WWVB (60 kHz) digital signals.  The circuit is rather simple:  Just a
> 60 kHz resonator (usually tuned loop antenna) connected to an
> amplifier.  The amplifier output toggles the DTD line (I think) as the
> 60 kHz signal is pulsed.  The driver picks up the 1's and 0's as it is
> toggled and converts it into time info.
>
> Just do a web search on "WWVB receiver computer" and you will find
> several links on either building one or buying one.
>
> David

Hi David thanks for the note!  Yeah there are some great ways to push WWVB
data into ntpd, but the one driver in particular that I was using (or
trying to use) is a driver actually meant for audio demodulation:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/driver36.html

I've been looking at the more recent ntpd code (4.1.73/74) and it looks
like its audio infrastructure is slighlty more compatible with NetBSD but
still won't work out of the box.

I'll report back here if I make any real progress.

-Matt