Subject: ntpd WWV audio driver ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matt SF <spore@psibercom.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/13/2003 20:33:41
Hi--

I was trying to see if the WWV audio driver with the ntpd distribution
would work on NetBSD, but it doesn't seem happy about something:

13 Mar 20:14:03 ntpd[15745]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY, 0) fails for clock I/O:
Invalid argument
13 Mar 20:14:03 ntpd[15745]: internal error: refclockio structure not found
13 Mar 20:14:03 ntpd[15745]: configuration of 127.127.36.0 failed

What I don't get is why the driver seems to be trying to access a
serial port, or maybe when compiled on NetBSD it interprets its access to
/dev/audio as serial ioctl activity (?)  The text in the driver
(refclock_wwv.c) only mentions SunOS/Solaris support but in a later doc I
see Mills also mentions FreeBSD.  I've also seen posts on Usenet where
Linux users seem to be using the driver...thus I thought I'd try it out.

Has anyone else tried to use this driver on NetBSD and/or had any success
with it?  I've tried ntpd as included in 1.6, in the pkgsrc, and built
from the recent 4.1.1c-rc1 code.

thanks!
-Matt