Subject: Re: SATA
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/04/2003 21:41:37
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 @ 8:18am (-0800), Jason R Thorpe wrote:

JRT> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 06:10:43PM +0200, netbsd@ns.purk.ee wrote:
JRT>
JRT>  > Recently i saw that Wasabisystem is supporting SATA controllers in ISCASI SOLUTIONS and
JRT>  > i wonder if this stack is going to be in upcoming 2.0 release? (SATA support)
JRT>
JRT> NetBSD already supports Intel's S-ATA RAID controller (the "icp" driver
JRT> Just Works with it).  As far as "plain" S-ATA controller chips:
JRT>
JRT> 	* The extant Silicon Image controller should be easy to support,
JRT> 	  and will likely Just Work, apart from DMA support.

...my Asus P4G8X delux came w/ one.  It's a "Silicon Image SIL 3112 Serial ATA".
As soon as I get these 48 bit LBA addressing issues on the normal controller
worked out, i'll try a recent -current and see if it's functional.

JRT> 	* Intel's forthcoming i31244 controller Just Works in legacy
JRT> 	  PCI IDE mode (apart from DMA support, which I have code for,
JRT> 	  but which is not ready to check in).  The i31244 also supports
JRT> 	  a mode called DPA (Direct Port Access), which effectively
JRT> 	  gives each S-ATA port its down "channel" as far as software
JRT> 	  is concerned, which leads to improved performance.
JRT>
JRT> One thing that has not been addressed yet is the S-ATA equivalent of
JRT> Tagged Queueing (in SCSI).  However, this is a performance issue, not
JRT> a basic functionality issue.
JRT>
JRT> --
JRT>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: E7B2 5A30 0F61 2ECD AF34  7E88 CC30 8B95 EE0B 4D5C

"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."