Subject: Broken serial console support?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/2003 07:05:02
Hello,

Based on the rather sketchy information in the documentation for serial
console support for i386, am I to understand that I have a choice between
XON/XOFF and hardware handshaking? If this is the case, is there any
reason why this hasn't been fixed?

Making a system unbootable because a serial cable isn't plugged in is
about as smart as the older BIOS message "Keyboard error - press F1 to
continue". It should be an option for those that want it, but certainly
not the default. Is there any reason why this shouldn't be fixed?

Regarding XON/XOFF with DIRECT_SERIAL, again, there should be an option to
NOT have it. Is there any reason why this, too, shouldn't be fixed?

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs