Subject: Re: X11 on IBM Thinkpad 760XL impossible?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/2003 09:25:09
--GBuTPvBEOL0MYPgd

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 04:32:10AM -0500, Video Mike wrote:
> Anyone ever get X-11 working on an IBM Thinkpad 760XL?

Definitely. I've used XF86 3 on both an XL and an ED. (Never at the
same time; I've got about four 760s in parts, and scavange what I
need to get a working laptop back when something breaks. Right now
I'm on an ED incarnation... though I may be up to eBaying for a new
hard drive again, based on an unsettling experience last night that
smells of head crash.)

> I'm of the opinion that it is next to impossible.  I am running v1.6
> on this thing and the X-11 that came with the distribution.
> Any help of course is appreciated.

Humor us and tell us what version of XF86 that is, won't you?

I've been unable to get XF86 4 to sync the screen on my 760ED. I
think it has to do with the XF86 4 driver for the video chipset
(regrettably, I don't recall which, but I can try to check at home
this evening; the laptop's powered off at the moment, so I can't
just connect to it) not coping properly with the for-laptop model.

That is, I've tried pretty much everything possible in the Driver
section of XF86Config to fix it without getting anything but a
staticy, stretched, quarter image of what should be on-screen. Just
using VESA mode (a fallback to get *something* useful on-screen)
just produced a solid green wall. Cute.

I use an XF86 3 out of a 1.5-era snapshot with a 1.6-current system,
which hasn't given me any grief, though I don't ask very much out of
it. (I want the laptop as a terminal, mostly.)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:02:22AM -0700, Eric Fox wrote:
> I have X running on a 760XL running 1.5.2 -- haven't gotten around to
> updating it to 1.6 yet.  If you'd like, I can send you a copy of my
> XF86Config file.

Do yourself a favor and retain your old x*.tgz (or just the contents
of /usr/X11R6), as you may need them.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net