Subject: Re: Crossover Office?
To: Konrad Neuwirth <konrad@mailathome.or.at>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/2003 06:18:23
>   has anybody had positive results in getting CrossOver Office to run
> under Linux emulation?  I have to be using Microsoft Office and
> haven't yet found another way to get that beast running anywhere other
> than Windows.

Yes!  (Well sort off.)  I setup and installed CrossOver Office on a
SuSE Linux desktop.  Then on my NetBSD desktop, I compiled and
installed the latest WINE from pkgsrc, and then copied over from the
Linux Machine the CrossOver Office "Fake Windows" files containing the
fake Win98SE "C:" drive which includes the windows & program files
directories with MS Office 2000.  I also copied from the Linux computer
the ~/.wine directory with the WINE config including the fake registry
settings.

CrossOver Office is just Linux software containing WINE and some cool
utilities to create the fake C: drive and fake registry settings when
you use it to "install" MS Office.  By coping the directories created
using the CrossOver Office utilities, and using it on your NetBSD
machine, you get the same benefit as if you have a native NetBSD copy
of CrossOver Office.

Using the technique above, I was able to run in NetBSD 1.6 and X-Windows
the following: MS Word 2000, MS Excel 2000, MS PowerPoint 2000, and MS
Access 2000.  Unfortunately I could not get MS Internet Explorer to work
under NetBSD, like it does under Linux.

Oh, and don't forget to compile "options USER_LDT" into your kernel.

Unfortunately, running MS Office under WINE is painfully slow and not
all features work properly.  If you have the memory and if you are not
running a Transmeta chip, I would recommend that you use VMWARE.  (The
CPU emulation in Transmeta chip gets screwed up with VMWARE and is
unable to optimize, causes it to run very, very slow.)

Alicia.