Subject: Re: VIA VT8233 AC'97 Audio Problems
To: TAMURA Kent <kent@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/2003 18:10:35
>>auvia0 at pci0 dev 17 function 5: VIA VT8233 AC'97 Audio (rev 0x40)
>>auvia0: interrupting at irq 10
>>auvia0: ALG48 codec; Realtek 3D
>>auvia0: warning: codec doesn't support hardware AC'97 2.0 Variable Rate
>>Audio
>>audio0 at auvia0: full duplex, mmap, independent
>>
>>... except maybe for that warning. However, I can't hear any audio at
>>all. I don't hear anything when I cat somefile > /dev/audio. When esd
>>starts up I don't hear the "bleeps".
>

> The -current kernel should work.  The codec supports only fixed
> sampling rate (48kHz), and the auvia driver got capability of
> sampling rate conversion a few months ago.

Ok - that works. I built a kernel from -current, and I get audio.
However - Esound kills the whole machine. Locks up. I get the first few
bleeps and then everything is locked. Something awful is happening when
esd tries to startup.

It could be esound, but should it really lock the whole machine if it were?

I can "cat somefile > /dev/audio" and I hear the sound and nothing
complains.

What can I do to provide more info on this? Savecore is turned on but I
have no crashdumps.

Louis