Subject: Re: questions about netbsd
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/2003 19:14:42
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:23:06AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 04:34:16PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > [...]
> > The only objective area that I am aware of where NetBSD may be less
> > secure is in that it does not (so far as I know) include support
> > for encrypted filesystems or swap.  Is that important?
>
> NetBSD-current has support for an encrypted block device (cgd(4)).
> You can use is as a regular disk, for filesystems or swap, or anything
> else you want to do with disks.

Ah.  Thanks for the clarification.  (I remember the "cgd" device being
announced, now that you mention it.  I completely forgot what it was
for.)

It's good to be reminded that we can expect to one day see this in a
NetBSD release.  (Though, as before, I remain somewhat neutral about
the value of this feature for myself.)

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org