Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/2003 13:11:21
In message <87ptq456nt.fsf@snark.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:

>George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:
>> Is APM and ACPI orthogonal, or either/or in kernel?
>
>You can't run both.
>
>> is apmd orthogonal to ACPI in user-space post boot?
>>
>> if you have acpi, do you *need* apmd to do some power management interfacing
>?
>
>We do not currently have power management under ACPI working.

I know there's talk of the "right" way to talk to the acpi drivers, but
even when something like that is finished, I think we'll still need
something that provides the same API as /dev/apm, just to preserve all
the tools that know how to use it.  (I'd love to try acpi on my laptop,
but if I can't even check the battery status it's a non-starter.)