Subject: IDE 48-bit addressing
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/2003 13:09:16
Hello!

I am trying to find out what is needed to support >128GB disks
on i386pc. AFAIK 1.6 does have IDE 48-bit addressing support,
please correct me when I'm wrong. But it also needs some kind
of motherboard level support, isn't it? Another question is
that is it possible to put an IDE controller card into an
older motherboard which does not have that 48-bit addressing
support and still be able to use large drives by connecting
them to that separate PCI card? I would also appreciate any
general explanation of how this whole 48-bit stuff works... %-)

Thank you in advance,
Szabolcs Rumi