Subject: Re: an fdisk that supports extended partitions
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/2003 16:34:40
Hello,

some usability notes:

1)
> Partition table:
> 0: <UNUSED>
> 1: <UNUSED>
> 2: <UNUSED>
> 3: <UNUSED>
> Which partition do you want to change?: [none] 0
> The data for partition 0 is:
> <UNUSED>
> sysid: [169]
> start: [0, 0cyl, 0MB]
          ^
        Here should the track size be the default (that's what is
	used on all i386 disks AFAIC).

2)
> size: [0, 0cyl, 0MB] $
> $ is not a valid sector number.

The interface should be consistent with disklabel -i, so there should be
a $ value meaning 'till the end of the disk'

(or maybe it should be 'till the start of next partition/slice' in both
programs?)

3)
> Which partition do you want to change?: [none] 1
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> sysid: [169]
> start: [40960, 20cyl, 20MB]

Here the default is the end of previous partition, this is good. The
same feature should go to disklabel -i, where the default is always 0
AFAIC.

4)
size: [1024952, 500cyl, 500MB]

this is good too - the whole space remaining. But why was it different
for the partiton 0?

5)

When the program asks for the sysid, it would be great to have
apossibility to generate a listing of all known types.

I hope you will find those notes useful.

Thanks	Pavel