Subject: Re: Cron mail
To: yo _ <exhausted01@hotmail.com>
From: Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ees2.oulu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/2003 00:04:09
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:12:36PM -0500, yo _ wrote:

> Hi, this is quite the "newbie-ish" question, but i wasn't sure how else to
> get the answer to it. I have 3 cron scripts that are ran daily, and
> according to the cron man page, it sends the STDOUT of the script to owner
> of the crontab each time it is ran through mail. This is very unnecessary
> for some of the scripts i run (or actually all of them) and i was wondering
> if there was any way i could disable this behaviour.

Pipe your crontab's commands to /dev/null. ie.:

30 * * * * cd $HOME/seti; ./setiathome -nice 19 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

That will disable mail sending from one command. To disable it all set

MAILTO=""

This is mentioned in crontab(5) manpage. HTH!

--
Ossi Herrala
Personal PGP key at http://stekt.oulu.fi/~oherrala/pgp.asc