Subject: Re: MB Vs Mb Vs MiB Vs...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Leon Woestenberg <leon.woestenberg@gmx.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/2003 23:47:00
Hello all (over the world),

>      ...I'd seen some of these used but had assumed that they
> were a translation artifact.  Looks like a new bookmark for
> my browser!  Interestingly they seem to use B for byte and b
> for bit as you and Wojciech both suggest.

Yes, that is 'correct'.

> Since NetBSD is in use internationally it would seem to make
> sense for us to stick to a single international standard.  I
> should probably try to start using IEC one (although it's a
> multi-decade habit to break ;-)

I would strongly prefer to use the IEC rules, as these actually
distinct between numbers being based on a binary or decimal numbers.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Besides the general 'rule' that k is 1000 and K is 1024, B is byte
and b means bit, the context plays an important role as well:

Data rates are typically defined in decimal numbers, storage capacity
has transitioned from binary to decimal numbers over the last decade.

I would interpret these as follows:

kb/s = kilobits/second = 1000 bits/second
kb = kilobit (1000 or 1024 bits)
kB = kilobyte (1000 or 1024 bytes)

Kb (1024 bits)
KB (1024 bytes)

But let's at least agree that one byte is '(by) eight bits' spoken quickly.

Leon Woestenberg.