Subject: Archaisms
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Emil <ewilke@cwnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/2003 15:08:34
Hi.
I've recently come into possession of a Toshiba Satellite 105c, and I'm
trying to install NetBSD on it.  However, the machine has no CD-drive, and
the boot floppy image in the i386/installation/floppy/ directory doesn't
seem to recognize the external one I've got plugged in to the parallel
port. (I'm using bootlap1.fs and bootlap2.fs)

My initial plan was to chop the kernel into the 235k chunks, but sysinst
wants ten pieces out of a 1.95 meg file, and that just won't cut it.  I
tried cutting it into smaller pieces, but then base.tgz has more pieces
than sysinst wants.

So my question is this:  What can I do to access the external CD drive?
Or possibly:  Is there a way to trick sysinst into believing I've given it
everything it wants without having parts of the kernel and system missing?

--Emil