Subject: Re: SA kernel data point
To: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/2003 10:03:35
On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:56:15PM -0800, Brian Stark wrote:
  | I would like to know if anyone has been able to build a NetBSD-current
  | *release* that contains
  | the new scheduler activations.

Many times, especially after I fixed a couple of minor build issues
in distrib/i386.

  | I submitted two PRs last night for problems I've encountered trying to
  | build a release on a
  | 1.6K system for the latest version (1.6M):
  |
  | port-i386/19991 - Unable to build a release
  | port-i386/19992 - Unable to build a release (part 2)
  |
  | The 19991 PR states that it is not possible to build a release without
  | setting COPTS to include "-O"
  | in /etc/mk.conf.

I'm not disputing that you're seeing a problem, but I don't have any
COPTS (or other flags to tweak the compiler's optimization level away
from the NetBSD default), and I don't have any problems.

  | The 19992 PR states that it is not possible to make the ramdisk-tiny
  | file image because the generated
  | image is larger than the max size specified in the Makefile.

That's probably because your COPTS setting of -O overrides the setting
of -Os that ramdisk-tiny uses.  (Yes, the COPTS overriding needs to
be improved to make it less susceptible to this latter issue).

Luke.