Subject: pms mouse problems -> XFree86 looping?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/2003 08:03:45
In the winter, my house gets dry and I start shocking lots of things
with static electricity.

Luckily the worst that seems to happen is my PS/2 mouse gets confused, I
switch from X to a text VT, and then back to X and everything is usually
fine (X closes and reopens the mouse device in this case, which is
enough to cause some hardware reset?)

Sometimes, though, I get XFree86 into a state where it's looping reading
the mouse file descriptor and getting EMSGSIZE.  From ktruss, I think I
remember it showing X trying to read 4 bytes.

I think that's coming from wsevent_read():
        if (uio->uio_resid < sizeof(struct wscons_event))
                return (EMSGSIZE);      /* ??? */

Anybody have ideas why XFree86 would not be reading enough bytes when it
goes to get mouse data?

--
==John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>, <john_kohl@alum.mit.edu>
Home page: <http://john.kohl.home.attbi.com/>